The Mutants

photograph by catharine j. anderson
Sue and Sally



photograph by catharine j. anderson
Sally

 
The Mutants were a very popular art punk band in the Bay Area in the late 70s and early 80s. I used to listen to them on the radio and really enjoyed their music. As much as the band played in the area I only saw them live once at Berkeley Square. Although I took a fair amount of pictures that night, Berkeley Square was not a good venue for available light photography. These are the very few shots that I found acceptable. If I could do it all over I would shoot in color rather than B&W at Berkeley Square. Oh well.


The Mutants signed with 415 Records. Their first album was titled Fun Terminal. The band was Paul Fleming, Sally Webster, Sue White, Brendan Earley, John Gullak, Fritz Fox and Dave Carothers. This show was after the release of this album. I sat at the bar and chatted with Sally a bit. She asked me what my favorite Mutants song was and I told her it was Think, Think Think. She looked at me like that was a bad choice. Well, its hard as there are so many good Mutant songs!


2 comments:

southsider said...

Sue is the one in the photo "Sally"

jeg said...

Cool story about talking to Sally Webster, who was so beautiful when she was in the Mutants. You should have said Opposite World, though.