Lenny Kaye

photograph by catharine j. anderson
Lenny Kaye



 



This is a shot of Lenny Kaye at the Keystone Berkeley when he toured with The Lenny Kaye Connection. This was after Patti Smith went off and married Fred Sonic Smith and the Patti Smith Group was no more.
 
The first live concert I ever shot was The Patti Smith Group at Georgetown University in Washington, DC. I shot color slides and C-41 color film. Being that it was my first attempt to shoot a concert, the images are not as clear and sharp as they should be. I learned alot later about timing and lighting. It is too bad as I would really love to have good shots of the PSG in my portfolio. Oh well. It was a learning experience. One of the most important things I learned at the PSG show was that it was easy to go stand in front of the stage if you had a professional looking camera. Everyone just assumed you were official and let you do it.
 
Back to Lenny. I was sitting in the back of the club by the dressing rooms later on. Lenny walked by and did a double take. Patti Smith and I seemed to look somewhat alike back in the day. You don't know how many times I heard "Do you know who you look like?" I guess even Lenny thought so. I think it was our hair more than anyrthing else.

No comments: