Blurt - Ted Milton

photograph by catharine j. anderson
Ted Milton

photograph by catharine j. anderson

photograph by catharine j. anderson

photograph by catharine j. anderson

photograph by catharine j. anderson
 
 


Two things that I was always very passionate about are music and photography. When I say music I am paricularly referring to rock n roll in its many forms. In the late 70's and early 80's I developed a taste for New Wave and Punk Rock music. I was living in the San Francisco Bay area and discovered that there were alot of clubs were these types of bands played. Being that it was all kind of new to me (being able to go to clubs and see bands) I set out with my camera and just started going and seeing shows regardless of whether I ever heard of the artist or not. I had just ended a stint as a "fashion photographer" as I found it paid well but did nothing for me. I set out with the intention of becoming a "rock photographer."


The first show I showed up at, camera in hand, featured Xmas Eve, The Fall and Blurt at The Keystone Berkeley in Berkeley, CA.


These are part of a series of shots taken of Blurt saxophonist Ted Milton. He was so expressive that it was hard not to keep the camera aimed at him throughout the set. These images, as well as a few of The Fall and Xmas Eve are all included in my Book Eclypso: Photography by Catharine J. Anderson."


I did not get a chance to meet Ted or the other members of Blurt. I did meet the guys in Xmas Eve, which was a local band, and went on to work with them. In any case, it was a great show and Ted Milton was one of the most expessive musicians I ever photographed on stage.

No comments: