Dead Kennedys

photograph of Jello Biafra
Jello Biafra


photo of Jello Biafra
Jello in the pit


photograph of Jello Biafra
Jello Biafra


photograph of Jello Biafra
Jello Biafra


photograph of Jello Biafra
Jello Biafra





photograph by catharine j. anderson
Jello Biafra




photograph by catharine j. anderson
Jello Biafra



photograph by catharine j. anderson
East Bay Ray



photograph by catharibe j. anderson
Klaus Flouride



photograph by catharine j. anderson
Jello Biafra



photograph by catharine j. anderson
Jello Stage Dive



photograph by catharine j. anderson
Jello Biafra



photograph by catharine j. anderson
Jello Biafra


photograph of Jello Biafra
Jello in the pit
 


photograph of DH Peligro
D.H. Peligro
 
 
 
The Dead Kennedys were a challenging act to photograph as the mosh pit in front of the stage was always going full force. I remember being tossed around the floor at The Mab trying to shoot and protect my camera. The photos featured here were taken at The Keystone Berkeley where I found a safe place to perch and not be in constant motion in the pit.




Flipper opened the show and Bruce Loose got on stage with the DKs at some point to jam. it was a great night. All beer was served in plastic cups as it was a very physical night as well.


The Dead Kennedys were Jello Biafra, East Bay Ray, Klaus Flouride and D.H. Peligro. I saw the band quite a few times in various venues. I later saw them at the Cameo Theater in Miami, Fl as well. I wanted to say hi to D.H. who I knew through a friend. I didn't get to see D.H. but ended up going back to the hotel with East Bay Ray and a friend of mine. We spent the night there. I remember Jello and Richard Shelter were behind us walking up a staircase - funny what you remember. Ray came back to Fl to visit several months later. We took him to dinner at lil Reds BBQ and he joined us at The Jockey Pub for a Ruby Cadilac show. That club was a dive and when people realized that Easdt bay Ray was there they were truly amazed. After the show Ray jammed with many of the local musicians. It was a fun night. I even got on stage and played drums a bit. For some reason they decided to play Wipe Out which I didn't know how to play but played anyway. I wish I had pictures from that night as it was classic.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Cat, these are some of my favourite and most iconic images of DK...brilliant work.
I would be very interested to know if any of these photos are available to purchase as prints?
Thank you!

Unknown said...

Hi Cat,

Thanks for your reply! I can be reached at catseye71@gmail.com
Photo 3 of the series (close up of Jello) is a long time favourite of mine, the expression on his face that you managed to catch is just perfect.

Do let me know what options you can come up with when you have a moment - no rush!

take care,
Jennie

said...

Dear Cat,

Thanks for you're comment over at Digital Meltd0wn about the Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables post. I'm the one who posted it up there. Thanks also for the link to these great photos.

Then on to the weird...

I am from California. I live in Sacramento now but lived in San Jose when these pictures were taken. I believe I was at this very show, because the Black Dahlia & I saw DK's twice at Keystone Berk. Once with Flipper.
Small world, ain't it. If you get a chance, check out my other blog
Nothin' Sez Somethin'. Right now I'm doing Musick, the Global Language in which I am trying to post up musick from every country in the world. After today I have three more countries in Europe & then off to Africa.

Well, enough, just thanks again.

Cat said...

yes - a small world. It was a great show. I have a few pics of Flipper. The one that stands out in my mind (and maybe I should post) is D.H. Peligro getting on stage with them and playing guitar. It was well into the set, towards the end I think.

I love Digital Meltdown and will check out Nothin' Sez Somethin' in a few minutes.

Keep up the good work!